"Do you have an actual ski shop or storefront where I can visit and try things on?"
A question we get asked all the time. Short answer - No, but we’ve created a unique and customer-centric online shopping experience which is even better in so many ways.
Why our online store experience is so much better than shopping for plus sizes at your local ski or outdoor shop?
We’ve thought this through, we’ve been around the block, er mountain, for a few years, so hear us out. Our online shopping experience will leave you feeling excited about your upcoming snow adventure.
Let’s start with the obvious one, a question of trust
1. It’s pretty normal to want the security and trust of a physical ski store to purchase from
Many of our customers have confided that our online store has been the first time they have bought or shopped online ever (those from an older demographic of course) and we get it! Trust is a major issue when dealing with anyone online, and understandably so.
- Is this business reputable? Are they even a real company?
- Do they provide high-quality outdoor clothing?
- Will they have something that fits me? Yes!
- Are they experienced? and Do they know what they’re talking about?
- Will they respond to my emails or phone call?
- How long will it take for me to get my snow gear?
- Will they accept my return back if it doesn’t fit or I don’t like it?
- ... the list goes on and on (but if you just want a quick answer to these questions above, click to the end of this article)
We have heard all of your understandable concerns and we feel confident that we have considered them all of them in a way to make your experiences with us not only successful but enjoyable. We’re often called such lovely names as efficient and delightful! Insert customer quote with stars here We pride ourselves in our numerous glowing product reviews and business testimonials across the web, including on our website, Facebook pages, product pages and even some articles which have been written about us.
- May 2016 - Miss Snow it All - Plus Size Skiers no longer left out in the cold
- April 2017 - Snowsbest - When it’s the skier, not the skis that are fat
- March 2018 - Outside Magazine - Hey Outdoor industry we need plus size ski gear
- August 2020 - Snowsbest - Aussie Entrepreneur launches outdoor plus size clothing
- October 2020 - Plus Size Travel Too blog - Interview: Plus Size Ski Wear And Snow Clothing With Monica Balon Of Plus Snow
- November 2020 - Revelstoke Review & Trail Times - Online Entrepreneur launches plus size snow gear store in North America
- November 2020 - Fit is Feminist Issue blog - Winter Fun is for Every Body
- November 2020 - She Explores Podcast - OnShe-Explores.com Site, Apple Podcast & Spotify Podcast
- December 2020 - Explore Magazine - Finally, Plus Size Ski and Snowboard Gear is Available Across Canada
- February 2021 - Shapely Events - Why Isn’t My Outerwear Flattering?
- February 2022 - Ski Moms Fun Podcast - Mon Balon, Making Skiing and Riding Accessible to Women of All Sizes
- May 2022 - Loving the Snowlife - Mon Balon, the passion & persistence behind Plus Snow
- June 2022 - SnowsBest - When ski pants truly change a woman’s world (and body image)
- June 2022 - Shopify - Inclusion in Retail: How to Craft an Inclusive Shopping Experience
2. Good Old Fashioned Customer Service
Customer service is so very important to us.
We don’t send you emails with one-word answers like so many other online stores can, and we have a dedicated customer service representative to help you in a full-service way. You can contact her by a phone call or text or email (which is usually faster), or all 3, and we’ll get back to you within 0-2 business days! We now even have a phone number in Canada as well as Australia for our international customers.
Our specialist plus-size customer service representative can give you a personalised shopping experience that is private, relaxed and knowledgeable. As we are plus size snow gear specialists and specialists of our snow gear range, we know our customers are looking for particular shapes and fits without any judgement on your ability to shred or enjoy the slopes and beautiful snowy mountains.
Part of this personal customer service experience is our newest feature called Shop Your Shape
3. A Personalized Shopping Experience - Shop Your Shape
We have a fabulous new online personal fitting service tailored especially for our customers that we’ve called Shop Your Shape,
"This is our way of offering you a personalised fitting experience with our Sizing Specialists so that your needs are met successfully. With some important details, we will be able to present to you some of the best options for your upcoming adventure!"
Shop Your Shape is a simple form where you enter your body measurements and what you’re interested in finding, and our customer service rep can recommend to you which styles and sizes you will be in each product. Take me there
Shop Your Shape means you're more likely to buy the correct size and style the first time, as each product on our website has its own unique size chart (which we have physically measured), even from the same brand. This cuts down on returns, exchanges, time and postage fees.
4. We’re not pushy salespeople
We’re not pushy salespeople, because we don’t need to be, and you might get that ‘honest’ feeling from reading some of our product descriptions. Each one is tailored to each product (not copied and pasted from some product catalogue or someone else’s website) and updated as more customer information about a product’s shape or fit comes back to us. We want you to be excited about your purchase, we want you to rave about us, we want you to be super pumped about your upcoming snow holiday as much as we are when we hear the exciting places you’re going to. Our bucket list keeps getting longer every year!
5. You’re not a size or a number but we do need your measurements
Shopping on our website means you will have to measure yourself. Sorry, not sorry! In order to do this accurately for purchasing snow gear in a plus-size body, we have created a measuring instructional video, a quick guide, and a detailed instructional guide (to cover all types of learning types ;)) just for you, our potential customers, so you can comfortably do this knowing you have got your most accurate measurements so you can buy the best-shaped snow pants, a ski jacket or warm thermal layers cut and fit just for you.
We are always improving our website by adding more tips and tools, and asking our customers to review their purchases so we can provide as much purchasing and sizing information as possible. Some products even have their own video so you can see how it looks in real life.
6. We have a far superior plus size snow gear range than any ski or outdoor store ever could
Why do you think that ski and outdoor shops don’t stock the sizes you need? It’s because they don’t sell enough of extended sizes in each style, size and colour to have the stock turnover as quickly as they need it to. Their stock needs to clear by the end of the season so they can get something fresh and new the following season and their holding costs are limited from season to season.
It’s nothing against you or your size, it’s just a tricky niche which doesn’t afford the luxury of store ‘real estate’ by giving them the ROI they need in comparison to some other products they stock.
Even if ski shops do stock the sizes you need, their range is limited and their attention is divided from other products, styles and cuts they also stock in their store.
So by having a specialist snow retailer like us online, we can get change happening! We can show brands and manufacturers that there is collectively a demand. Just not in one specific location and at any specific shop but everywhere. So by being online, we’re able to pool the demand of our products and have a voice which will hopefully reflect across the future size ranges offered and stocked in store.
7. We know plus-size shapes in snow jackets, pants and thermals snow gear better than anyone
We really are plus size snow jackets and pants specialists. We really do care about helping you find the shape best suited to your body. It’s not just about finding the size which will fit (we have plenty of curvy clothing, it’s all we do!), it’s about finding the shape and style which will fit you most comfortably for skiing and snowboarding and within your price and style range. We’re not perfect but we’re striving for it.
We have experience owning a retail store and selling snow gear for over 26 years and after getting out of the bricks and mortar scene to try something new, we’ve been developing our snow range with our stalwart snow gear suppliers for 5 years and we’re confident we can find something you’ll love and fit you for your ski slope adventure!
It can be daunting when you don’t know which items will suit your body shape, or which size you will be in each style, or even where to start! So we have started creating helpful guides like this one which will help with those FAQs (yes! You’re not alone!). If you have a specific question you’d like answered, why don’t you send it our way?
How to shop for plus size snow gear without a shop or fitting room where I can try on plus size ski pants and jackets?
4 Easy steps to purchasing plus size snow gear online with us
- Measure yourself accurately and write them down Video Guide
- Browse our store and ask for help if you need it or are unsure about anything. A question now could save shipping time and postage costs. Or Shop Your Shape. Don’t forget to read the customer’s reviews for the product you’re interested in.
- Refer to the Measurement Charts on each item’s page. These charts show the size of the garment, not the body that may fit it, so you will want to make sure you have a few centimetres space between your body and the size you choose. This will allow for the garment’s insulation, plus your own thermal layers as well as comfortable movement for skiing, snowboarding, bending, falling and getting back up again! It’s all a part of your upcoming snow adventure.
- Purchase whatever you like, even if it’s more than you need - different sizes, colours, shapes and styles. Then return the items you don’t like as much and keep the ones you like. Shipping for your first order is often free so all you have to do is to pay for the return shipping. Kind of like using your home as a personal fitting room.
Online Business Policies which will help ease your mind when shopping with us
Flexible & Friendly Returns Policy
You're more than welcome to order a couple of pairs of pants or jackets, for example, and return the ones you don't like. We have a wonderfully flexible Returns Policy which refunds for anything you've purchased (pending approval/not including shipping costs), so you may like to use this option, where the privacy of your own home becomes your fitting room :) We have the option of a 'Speedy' or 'Traditional' exchange to meet your particular preference.
Shipping Every Day
Our little team ship orders every business day too, so you don’t have to wait too long to check out your new gear. We ship all international orders express post worldwide.
Don't just listen to us! Find out about what our customers are saying about our range and how their experience with PS, PO, SBO was for them!
We make an effort to encourage and collect customer reviews of our products to give future buyers the best idea of what to expect. We believe that asking our customers to review the products is such a big help to others when making their own buying decisions.
We also chat with influencer friends who are willing to give candid and honest feedback on some items which they have tried on. These are always open-ended and honest, because really, we can’t afford to pay people to ‘say’ they love our gear, we just know that they will find some things they love and other things, not as much. That’s all good with us!
Please get in touch, we are here to help
Furthermore, we encourage calls, texts and emails about specific requirements and shapes with your measurements in hand so you can chat directly to one of our customer service team members
(Melbourne, Australia) +61 411 855 037 Mon-Fri 9.30-3pm OR
(Vancouver, Canada) +1 250 814 3339
You can also contact us through our online messaging service, Shop Your Shape form and by email.
So, do we sound like a ski shop you’d like to buy from even if we are online?
So to answer your question, we don't have a shopfront or an outdoor shop you can visit, but we believe our online store gives an exceptional online and customer service experience which provides you with the best solution to find the plus size ski and snow gear you are looking for without having to leave the comfort of your own home. In some ways, we are far superior to your local ski shop anyway. And this year, that’s an even better thing than we have ever realised!
Anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to contact us, Wishing you enjoyable shopping experience with us at Plus Snow, Plus Outdoor & Ski & Board Online (Australia only)! All owned and operated by us!
Quick answers to the questions about trusting our business
- Is this business reputable? Are they even a real company? Yes, absolutely. We’ve been in the snow retail industry for over 30 years.
- Do they provide high-quality outdoor clothing? Sure do! We’re confident in the quality and durability of our products. The snow in Australia is wet, cold and windy, making it the perfect testing grounds for snow gear. Are they experienced? and Do they know what they’re talking about? Mon Balon started off working in her mum’s ski shop at 14 years of age and started buying at 17. She has developed long-standing relationships with Australian clothing brands and importers who have helped her develop her plus size snow range over the last 5 years. Plus Outdoor has just been launched July 2020 so our range is still limited but we’re pushing for more products coming soon.
- Will they respond to my emails or phone call? Yes, we will reply during weekdays (we don’t work on weekends or Melbourne’s public holidays) during business hours. As a small business, we don’t have the resources to work around the clock although don’t be surprised if you get a reply from someone who is working late or in another country.
- How long will it take for me to get my snow gear? Well, that depends on where you live, but we will pack and ship your order within business 0-2 days of your order being placed.
- Will they accept my return back if it doesn’t fit or I don’t like it? Absolutely, with all the normal terms and conditions which apply, as long as its within the time frame, and unworn with all the tags still on.
- Any other questions? Let us know and we can add them to this article :)